When conducting an obesity trial to measure body composition, it’s important to choose imaging options that provide accurate and reliable results. Here are some of the best imaging modalities commonly used for this purpose:
- Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DXA): DXA scans are highly accurate and are considered the gold standard for measuring body composition. They can provide information about bone density, fat mass, and lean mass.
- Computed Tomography (CT) Scan: CT scans can offer detailed information about fat distribution within the body, allowing for precise measurements of visceral and subcutaneous fat.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI): MRI can provide excellent visualization of fat and lean tissue, offering insights into body composition. It’s non-invasive and does not involve radiation.
- Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis (BIA): While not an imaging modality in the traditional sense, BIA uses electrical impedance to estimate body composition. It’s relatively simple and cost-effective.
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound imaging can be used to assess the subcutaneous fat thickness and muscle thickness at specific locations, making it useful for localized body composition measurements.
- Air Displacement Plethysmography (ADP): ADP, commonly measured using the BodPod, calculates body composition based on the principles of air displacement. It’s non-invasive and provides accurate results.
- Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Scan: PET scans can be used to assess metabolic activity in fat tissue, providing insights into obesity-related metabolic changes.
The choice of imaging modality should depend on factors such as the specific research goals, budget, and accessibility of equipment. It’s often advisable to consult with a medical imaging expert or radiologist to determine the most suitable option for your obesity trial. Additionally, consider ethical and safety aspects when conducting imaging studies involving human participants
About IAG, Image Analysis Group
IAG, Image Analysis Group is a strategic partner to bio-pharmaceutical companies developing new treatments to improve patients’ lives. Our dynamic Strategy, Trial Solutions and Bio-Partnering divisions work closely to meet critical needs of biotechnology companies: funding, clinical development, and monetization of their assets. We fuse decades of therapeutic insights, risk-sharing business model and agile culture to accelerate novel drug development. IAG broadly leverages its core imaging expertise, proprietary technology platform DYNAMIKA and capabilities to support an objective early go no/ go decision and drive excellence for tomorrow’s innovative therapeutic agents with speed.
Contact our expert team: imaging.experts @ ia-grp.com